Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tartu

Well today is Thursday which is the day I have my film lessons at school but our teacher is very busy so the lessons were cancelled for today. So I just had one maths lesson and was then free to go home.All the snow/ice has now melted leaving behind no trace that it was here at all. I am now able to WALK home instead of slide. We are now in November 'the dark month' because there is no snow and it gets dark very early. But more snow is still to come and with it even more cold. On the plus side though along with the snow and cold comes Christmas, which I am very excited about!


Well these past two weeks I have been  getting back into the school routine. Both this week and last week I had tennis again, now leaving home at 5 in complete darkness. Last Wednesday after school I had the film club, this time a friend from school joined me. We edited the stop motion pictures, which Mari and I had sat for over two hours taking. Here is the video but there is a spelling mistake because we were rushing so sorry.


Friday afternoon I met with my younger contact person, Marinn. Each of the exchange students has a younger and an older support or contact person who is there to help with anything. We had some ice cream and just spoke about how things were going. I told her that everything was great and she told me about her time in Switzerland (where she was an exchange student last year)
After that I walked through vanalinn and to youth where someone from America spoke. So yes it was in English being translated to Estonian but the translator was so quick I hardly has time to hear the end of the English sentence. It was a good night but finished later than usual so by the time Epp and I got home it was already 11pm.

This is Toomkirik where the museum is.
The next day was a long day, we were up early and started the two and a half hour drive to Tartu (the second biggest city in Estonia after Tallinn) When we arrived it was raining, but that was ok I was excited to see Tartu. We went to a museum about the university of Tartu. The museum is in Toomkirik, an old Church built in 13th century. After that we visited a planetarium where we were given a show of the planets and constellations in the Northern hemisphere. Finally we went to a toy museum which was filled with, as the name suggests, toys. And a lot of them, all from different times in history and different places in the world. From dolls, teddies, trains and planes to rocking horses, kites and board games. Every thing.
After the toy museum we found a little cozy pizza place to eat and then started the journey back home. 

This is my favorite toy that I saw. It's not the doll in the back round but the little match box with a kitchen and some people cooking on the inside
Sunday morning Epp and I went to Church again. This time arriving early so we stopped for some hot chocolate to warm us up on the cold morning. That afternoon Mari and I had juggling. One of the other exchange students that I met at the beginning of the year (a girl from Germany) was also at the juggling so it was good to see her again.


Again tonight I went to the film club where we were given our next mission. I will update you on that in the future. When I arrived home Epp came to me very excited with an idea for us to do in our youth groups talent show. (Terminals got Talent) Her talent is cooking and mine is making movies so we have decided to make a short 'cooking show'. I will update our progress at a later date.
 
Ok well I have just been informed that tonight I will be trying verivorst. The famous blood sausages that I have heard so much about, all I can say is . . . wish me luck.


1 comment:

  1. Oh boy!! So how much LUCK did you have with the verivorst?

    ReplyDelete