Friday, April 5, 2013

Sum up of March



I am sorry for the long time since I last posted. I won’t go week by week but I’ll sum up what has happened in the month of March, this being my 7th month in Estonia. 

We had our ‘spring’ holidays mid-March. My week was mostly spent getting together with other exchange students. Two of which came to stay one night, we had a late night playing a long and intense game of monopoly, then spent the next day in oldtown ice skating, before rushing everyone off to the bus station for their journeys home. I also joined forces with the other two exchange students who came to Estonia on a film program, we spent some time working on a video about the YFU Narva trip. 
Now with holidays over, my last term of school in Estonia has begun. It’s scary to think that I only have about 9 or 10 weeks of school left in Estonia . . . 

Another exciting thing that happened in March was Epps 17th birthday. We celebrated with the usual, having some family over for a BIG lunch, Epp making all sorts of different foods and snacks for everyone to enjoy. I have now got to celebrate all three of my host sisters birthdays! 

The last two Friday nights my youth group have been in English. The one was promoting an English camp which is happening at the end of July. This is an American camp so there will be some Americans over here, which seems to be quite exciting for the Estonians as one of my friends told me while jumping up and down.  Another evening we had a guest speaker from America so it was in English translated to Estonian. I got to speak to the guest. This has sort of become my ‘job’ now, any English people or guests at youth on Fridays or Church are sent to me as an English speaker. Which is great! I have met so many different and interesting people from ALL OVER the world and gotten to know them and their stories of how they have ended up here in Estonia. Whenever I do meet new people they still find it surprising that I’m only 16 and spending a year on the other side of the world . . .  

I find I have been meeting so many different people here, from so many different places. On Thursday evening I went to my usual home group that I’ve been going to for a while now. We have a pretty multi-cultural group. Norwegian, American, Estonian, Danish, Brazilian and then me from New Zealand. 

For Easter we went to Kose to visit my host grandmother. We painted some boiled eggs, each chose one and then had a competition to see whose egg was the strongest by hitting them together. The winner then is the one whose egg doesn’t crack after competing with everyone else, they then get all the rest of the eggs. 

More sun, melting snow, blue sky, a little bit of grass . . . must be the real spring now. The snow is very slowly disappearing, dripping from roofs and leaving large puddles around. The days are now lighter and longer, the sun higher. Everyone is getting ready for summer including us. If the snow continues to melt within the next few days my host family and I will be going canoeing with some of the other exchange students and their families too. So fingers crossed!

My sister, Gypsey, who is now almost 3 months into her exchange  in Norway has started a blog! http://agypseyinnorway.blogspot.com/?spref=fb Check it out :)  
 


3 comments:

  1. Very interesting :) Haha thanks missy:) Gypsey in Norway is impressed once again by your blog! Very nice to read everything that has been happening!:) .. Oh and..Theres a Norwegian in your Thursday night group?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mention of who got the egg?? ;) Sounds like you still havin heaps of fun. As your mum says "where's the pictures?" Lotsa love from us all xxxx

    ReplyDelete