Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Camp


The camp was really cool, we were there for four nights.
Everyone really gets to know everyone, names are a bit hard for me though because they are all unusual and hard to say but I am getting it. We play games and have language lessons in little groups, today we has a test, nothing serious just to see what we have learnt. I did pretty well. The basics of Estonian are easy but learning the cases is like what.the.cheese. so confusing, I seriously don’t understand but the leaders keep saying its fine because most Estonians don’t understand it all themselves haha. So here is my introduction in Estonian:

Tere,
Minu nimi on Cianne, Ma olen kuusteist. Minu Sunnipaev on neliteist August. Ma tulen uus-meremarrt. Ma olen vahetusopilane. Ma raagin Inglisekeelt.

On the bus ride here A taught me how to count to 20, I picked it up so i can now count to 20.
Well the food is so great like seriously seriously good. We have porridge and sandwhiches for breakfast evey morning with some red drink or lemon water. So good. Lunch time we have cooked meals, like pasta, rice and chicken. I have to say though, the desserts are yuk!! Haha not so great but the porridge like WOW. I think the one was called manu or something like that. 

Ok so I guess some of the people I have met, well there is Iris who is from Belgian. Alex who is from Mexico. My two room mates are Theresa and Karolin, both German. So there is this rock here and the rule is that everyone can only talk either English or Estonian and if you speak another language you have to carry around this rock. It mainly gets passed through the Germans but it’s very funny.
   
Well tonight was my first time in a Sauna, it was hot haha 80 degrees, then some people come in and they're like its so cold make it hotter and I'm just thinking to myself what you crazy people haha so you literally sit in a little room with a whole lot of people and sweat, like drip in sweat then you jump into a small cold pool. It wasn’t bad actually haha but I have to get used to it because that is what Estonians love, the sauna. So I think I will be in there a lot.

So tomorrow we meet our families which I am really excited about, cant wait to get there and unpack. Right now because its hard to reach clothes a lot of our stuff is just lying around on the beds or floor.

The languages here are crazy and when they speak English some are good, some not so great but you get used to it. There are only three of us who are actually English, me, Aiden and the Canadian girl.  So sometimes Aiden comes up to me and says 'I need some English!' haha its so true, so we eat together and can talk normally without picking simple words and speaking slowly. We can joke and actually understand the jokes.

So the other night the leaders called me and one other girl  up and they sang happy birthday and gave us each a chocolate. Then in Estonian tradition the lift the chair we are sitting on 16 times. Haha it was fun.
There are a lot of bugs here, mosquitoes especially and dragon flies and frogs. I held a little frog, it was the size of a jelly bean, maybe a little bit bigger.

2 comments:

  1. So little girl ... how are the clothes on the floor a new experience for you? You should feel right at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig watch your mouth! - Ben

    ReplyDelete