Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Flights

Ok so through customs I was feeling excited and confused, yes very confused, trying to figure out where to go and so on. Got through to the other side and there I saw my family and friends standing in the fish bowel waving to me, it was strange because I could imagine what I looked like. 


Arrived in Australia and was met by a YFU person. I spent pretty much the whole day in Australia. Aiden arrived in the afternoon, I met him and his mother. We flew from Australia to Singapore and getting to our gate was rather tiring, let me tell you Singapore airport is big like seriously big. We’re walking down to our gate and see signs saying another 15min walk and so on. Indoor gardens, funny looking carpets and a lot of shops.
So on the flight we had a long talk about different things, laughed  and joked. Aiden mocked the way I said milk but really he said it weirdly because of that Aussie accent (which by the way, everyone here loves) I slept a lot again, put a movie on then just slept. I think it was because I had so many different things on my mind that sleeping was the only thing that I could do. It was uncomfortable though.



Anyways this was the longest flight. We got off at Helsinki, had to go through security, long queues. When we finally got through to the other side our names were being called so we ran. When we got there it said gate closed . . luckly the bus was still there, the lady gave us a stern look, fired some questions and then let us through. The bus took us to a little plane where we walked up steps to get in. The flight was so short literally just felt like up and down haha really short. The people now were speaking different languages. I’m guessing Estonian and Finnish but I couldn’t tell the difference.

When we arrived in Tallinn we were greeted by a very bubbly Tina and Silver. Both very nice, asked questions gave some info on the drive to the office. We were the first to arrive, about 8am Estonian time. At the YFU office we met more of the volunteers, they were all younger than I expected and there were a lot of them, and more kept arriving. So we were shown around the old town (vanalinn) This is the old part of Tallinn, which is the capitol of Estonia. The city has two sides the old and the new. The new is the modern sleek buildings and the old is the traditional old original buildings. It was strange because some of the buildings are colourful, pink, green, yellow. The roads are stone which is pretty cool but there is no foot path so we walk on the cobblestone roads and everyone just moves out of the way of the cars. There are a lot of tourists in Vanalinn. So we had a walk around and both me and Aiden were so exhausted, had a 35 hour flight and he got pretty much no sleep.  So in the afternoon 22 Germans came . . . wow is all I can say haha. Two Belgium’s  (the one had lived in NZ for a few years and wore one of the bone carving necklaces), two Austrians, three Mexicans, two from Thailand, a Canadian, an Australian and a New Zealander hoped on a bus and drove for about 40minutes to the camp.





No comments:

Post a Comment