Thursday, October 25, 2012

Holiday

Friday was our last day of school for the term, we now have a weeks holiday. So on Friday we didn’t have any lessons, there were different speakers at the school, policemen, firemen, ambulance and some water safety group. It wasn't the usual water safety though, well not what I'm used to anyway. The 'what do you do if you’re swimming in the sea and get caught in a rip' kind of water safety. It was more about the ice and what to do if you fall through a crack and into the water. So different from what I’m used to.
After which there was a pot on fire display and then a police dog attacking a ‘robber,’ even after the show, the dog was determined not to let go, gripping into the guys safety suit and holding him down while another officer tried to yank him away.

That evening I went to youth again and we had an interesting walk home.
The path was covered by earth worms. Why so many of them decided to come out I have no idea but there they were scattered all over the foot path. So I tried to pick my way through them while laughing hysterically. When we finally got to the other side Epp turned to me and said ‘it’s a labyrinth of worms’

The next day we helped our Church collect food for a food bank. A small group of us stood with trolleys at the exits of a big shop and as people left they generously donated some food. It went really well and within under an hour we already had a full trolley and from then on the trolleys kept filling up quickly.
After the food bank we went to watch Mari perform. She is a part of a circus, so it was really cool to watch. Unfortunately I couldn't get the video to upload so sorry about that. 

Sunday morning was a bit of a rush, I woke up late so we left a little bit late therefore we had to run to the ‘far’ bus stop (we have two main bus stops from our house, the one across the road is the close stop and the far stop is a 20minute walk from the house) and even though we ran we still missed our bus by seconds. Stood and watched it drive away as we got there. So we were a bit late for Church. In NZ I don't really use the buses much so thats been something to get used to because here we catch the bus to go everywhere. School, Church, tennis, to the shops, into town . . everywhere.

So because we are now on school holidays (for one week) we have been relaxing at home. Monday and Tuesday passed pretty uneventfully. 
Mari is having her Birthday party today so yesterday morning Epp and I went out to take pictures for a sort of hunt thing that Mari and her friends will do.
Then in the afternoon I went to a film group meeting thing. I was the only person there because the others couldn’t make it. It’s a small group and our first task is to make a short stop motion film. So I will be working on that for next week. I've been thinking about it and I thought it would be cool to do in on the different seasons so I can't wait to get started on that. And from then on we are basically just making a movie. The youth center has all the equipment, cameras and what not as well as the editing programs, so we basically learn along the way and they help us where they can but otherwise we are on our own. It’s just get out and make a movie. So I need to start thinking about ideas for a sketch. 
BUT one step at a time, I first need to do the stop motion film. 

Well today I got a nice surprise. I looked out my window and what did I see SNOW!!!! I was so excited, running to the others telling them to look outside. Well they just laughed at me and I was told it’s not ‘real’ snow. It was kind of rain snow. It melts as it hits the ground so it doesn’t stay but it was really cool to look outside and for the first time in my life see little white flakes falling from the sky. I rushed outside, completely forgot about the cold and just watched, some of it landed on my face and it just melted and ran down my cheeks like rain. The ‘snow’ didn’t last for too long, it eventually just turned into normal rain and then stopped altogether. But it was still the coolest thing and I can’t wait for the REAL snow. 
One of my favorite words in Estonian so far is 'lumememm' which means snowman

Heres a really short video of the 'snow' but it's a bit hard to see


1 comment:

  1. I see from your other photos you didn't need to wait long to see "proper" snow! Really wonderful - I'm very jealous!

    ReplyDelete